Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ireland - A Travelography



A stunning view of the Cliffs of Moher

The Emerald Isle. A mysterious land made up of rugged terrain, cultured cities, wonderful whiskies and beers, quaint and charming villages as colorful as their inhabitants, and, speaking of inhabitants, the most hospitable people in the world.

Their citizens possess a wealth of information, history, un-ending friendliness, and, most importantly, craic, or "the gift of gab". Craic is small talk relayed in grandiose terms. Making a mountain out of a mole hill - in a good way. Spinning a good yarn.

After talking to an Irishman or Irishwoman with a bit o' the craic, you are confused, elated, skeptical, and convinced.

They are the best storytellers in all the world in one of the most beautiful, welcoming places in all the world.

I have had the unforgettable honor of visiting, exploring, and experiencing some of the best Ireland (and a little bit of Wales, too) has to offer.

Blarney Castle


Road Signs


Called "The Two Paps", in Wales. Wonder how
it got its name?


Musician on the side of the road, playing the
accordian.


A very coor pub on the Dingle Peninsula. Heh,
I just typed "Dingle".


View from Blarney Castle, in Blarney.


St. Davids, Wales.


Randon castle on the side of the road in rural
Ireland. We stopped our car to take this, as well
to check for damages, because a HUGE HERD
OF CATTLE was blocking the road and hit
our car. While we were in it. Weird and scary.


This is a photo of a girl with feathers in her
hair, drinking beer in a booth, located in a bar
that is also a shoe store.
Only in Ireland.


Me, a very nice Canadian lady, and my travel
buddy, Mitch.
We were on our way to golf at Lahinch.


View from Cliffs of Moher.
This photo was taken from the
place in photograph #1. Notice
the tower.


Here is the same tower close up.
Look at the tiny people on the right.
A good example of how enormous
those cliffs are.


Some drunken Irish idiot. Oh, wait, that isn't
a drunken Irish idiot, that is me - a sober American
idiot.


Pub in a small village. Every small village or town
has at least one pub, and all have colorful, Guinness
wall murals.


Ireland's beautiful, rugged coastline.

Slainte!

4 Have scribed in:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments:
Lovely photographs! My favourite is the first, and I like the diffrent gradings of black to grey. AWESOME!
 
My eyeballs zeroed in on the words whiskies and beers. But after reading the rest of the post I'm a wanting to experience a little craic myself if the opportunity comes up. The pseudo Irish pubs here are simply not the same. Yeah, it's kinda cute (?) to see an older italian guy in a kilt serving beer but... isn't that suppose to be a Scottish costume???
 
Thanks janestarr, I appreciate it. I try to get good photos. I will be posting more soon upon my return from Guatemala.

As far as the sober Yank in the dumb hat - it is shameful what people will do for a photo-op.

Chickybabe - Thanks! Coming from such a wonderful photographer as yourself, I take it as a great compliment.

Rowena - Hi! You definately should go and experience Ireland for yourself.
Here's an example of their hospitality:

My buddy and I met an old man on the street and he began telling us stories. He have my friend a Guinness keychain as a gift - after 10 minutes of talking to us.
Later on, we see him in a pub, buy him a beer and he literally begins to water up. De was so grateful that we got him a beer he got emotional.
We told him we were going to send him a postcard from home and he sias to address it:

His first name
Ballyvaughan
Ireland

He assured us he would get it. And so we did.
 
wow! wonderful pictures! i want to move to ireland. never been..everyone in my family but me has gone...my opportunity came when i was 16 living in england & the fam was going. i opted to stay home since i would have the house to myself and i could throw a party. idiot. looks like an incredible trip.
 
Post a Comment