Monday, July 31, 2006

Sleep, sleep my darlings















Hey everybody! Overall, the book signing was a total success. I signed and sold every copy the bookstore had in stock (15 copies). Actually, most of them were sold in the first 1/2 hour! I will be in Lexington, Kentucky this Friday evening from 7pm-9pm, at the Barnes and Noble in Hamburg Pavillion off Man-O-War Road.
________________________________________

I have a sleep study tonight, which is truly one of the few things in life that is as un-fun as it sounds. The photo above illustrates what I will be looking like tonight, only I am not Chinese...or female...and the lights will be off. So you can disregard it, because that photo does a real shitty job of illustrating what I will look like tonight - tonight, I may remind you, as all of you will be sleeping comfortably in the cozy confines of your beds or the bed of some stranger you picked up at your local watering hole.

I had one in May, ordered because I am always exhausted in the mornings, had a bit o'heart palpitations. They think it is all related to my nocturnal breathing. I am writing all of this to you for lots and lots of sympathy. Here's the gist of the test:

I go into the lab and change to sleeping attire. Then, I have bundles of wires and electrodes (close to 50 or so electrodes) hooked up to me - this is what I am supposed to sleep in. I have to stay on my back for the duration of the night.

Last time, I had a boatload of weird dreams, most of them involving me and the sleep lab I was currently sleeping in. I was rubbing some strange woman's foot; I had a person break into the room I was sleeping in and try to rob me; and another one in which I escaped the sleep lab via the elevator of the one-story building.

I also had a bunch of sleep apnea episodes, most of which caused arousals........of sleep......not the kind most of you pervs are imagining. That is what I thought, though. Instead, it means I am being forced awake by my lack of proper breathing. Of course, when the tall, attractive sleep doctor came in to the exam room last Friday and starting talking about how many arousals I had through the of the night, I thought "Oh, Lord, kill me now". I was prepared to tell her I really had to pee and it wasn't my fault!

If all goes well, I will be out of there by 5am and heading home to clean up and go to work. How fun does that sound? Feel sorry for me yet?

22 Have scribed in:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments:
i think i am on the verge of having to have one of these myself. thanks for the clear picture... i can't wait!
 
Yeah, buddy...they are loads of fun! Whoo hoo!
 
HUGE congrats on the booksigning!

What are the sleepstudies good for? Do you have trouble sleeping? Or narcolepsia?
The only problem I have with sleeping is, I often have to stop when I enjoy it the most! (like with so many other things in life...) ;D

Good luck with the sleepstudy then (I guess - how can you fail?)
 
Sweety, I feel sorry for you that you have to work so hard to make ppl feel sorry for you.. you digg? :)

Once again, congrats regarding the book signing - hope you'lll do just as well this time.

Hey do update us how it went with the sleep study. I have dream problem - dont remember them, just the weird ones... Uff

There has to be a better way to start the day than waking up.. specially on a monday!
 
Applause for the booksigning! That's terrific! Major boost to ye old ego, but we need that every now and then!

I'm curious about the sleep study as well. Hopefully you can get your shiz figured out..stat!
 
Heart - Thanks! the sleep study was to test for sleep apnea. This is when you temporarily stop breathing for a few seconds while sleeping. Not too kosher. I think I got the jimmy legs, too.

crashdummie - Thanks for the sympathy. I feel better now that you feel sorry for me for being needy, because I'm needy that way. Or something like that. Tell me more about this dream problem!! What sort of dreams do you remember? Have any really crazy ones?

beth - Thanks for the support! I may be getting a signing set up for Dayton, OH area...if you are close to there maybe you and a gaggle of young, intelligent readers can come out and visit.

I'll sign books, cleavage, whatever. :)
 
dayton, eh? not only did i grow up north of d-town..my dad still lives there! i may have to make a trip over! keekp me posted.
 
Congrats on the book signing.

I've sometimes wondered about becoming a "sleep tech." Lots of jobs out there, and it sounds like a breeze.
 
If it will make you sleep better I do not feel sorry for you at all.
 
anita - That sucks for you, too! Do you miss the nightmares? I know I would.

beth - Did you now? Dayton isn't too shabby a place I guess.
That is not too far away from my neck of the woods.

I will definately keep you posted and if I get anything set up I'll let you know.

LBB - Thanks for the congrats ole buddy. I'd say being a sleep tech would be a pretty easy gig; you should go for it, becaus eI think the pay isn't too bad either.
 
Tight! Eh...I fancy certain parts... (Centerville, Oakwood, etc.) Downtown D-town is ridden with gangs and social problems galore. Anyway. I am bored at work and want to shoot myself. (Long story) I have a radio show from 4-6, it's a shame you're just too far away to hear it. Ha.
 
beth - that is totally cool! People always said I have the face for radio.

Seriously, that was what I wanted to to for a long time; Aside from my slight Kentucky twang, both my twin bro and I have been told we have good radio voices. Can I listen online? What station is it? You can e-mail me all the info if you prefer...
 
Haha..a face for radio. Classic!

We unfortunately are NOT online! Such a bummer, I know. It's a little out of our budget. But if you're ever driving through Southeastern, Ohio..tune into 90.7! I go to Muskingum College (New Concord) and it's just the campus radio station. Nonetheless...goodstuff! Yes, radio is fantastic. My fingers are crossed for an internship with NPR next summer!
 
How do they expect you to sleep like that?
And re the book signing. You are a star! I finally 'know' someone famous!!
 
Congratulations on the success of your book signing!! Well done!!

Have someone take a photo of you being popular and all ;-)
 
beth - Muskingum College, eh? Sweet. I'd like to listen to it. What type of show is it...music? Political talk? I've heard that is a good school, and since they let you in it must be very high brow. :)

That would be awesome if you got a gig at NPR!

steph - it is tough to sleep with all that crap hanging from your noggin. I had come crazed dreams, too, but as anita mentioned, perhaps it was because I was on my back.

That or the peyote I took prior to entering the lab.

missy - I need to have a photographer indeed...you are a very good photographer. Can I hire you?
 
How did everything go?
 
BV - I had these weird dreams about being in bed and a blonde lady was force feeding me German chocolate cake...I woke up alone and hungry. :(


It went ok! I don't know the results yet - it takes a week to get them.
 
Muskingum is okay. (Long story about why I transfered, I'll spare the details) I'm a firm believer in making it happen wherever you are...regardless of geographic locale. (Although I'm sure there will be people throwing that one in my face when I'm insistent on moving to DC next spring, haha). I appreciate the "high brow" comment--that's very kind. And yes--the NPR internship would rock my socks. (Fingers crossed!)
 
Time out! I just noticed you linked me! Woohoo! I'm dying of laughter..."Beth the Westie" ohhhhh hahahahah. Love it! Thanks. Oh, and I think I should get a prize for being your number 1 commenter for the day! mwhahah.
 
Beth the Westie, you are number 1 in my book, or blog!

When you come to a book signing, though, don't ask me to sign your dog's sweater - maybe your sweater, but not the dog's. A guy's gotta draw the line somewhere. :)
 
Heck yes! Alright, chief, it's a done deal. Actually, I'm pretty sure she won't be wearing a sweater if this heat keeps up. Maybe a visor, though..
 
Post a Comment