Monday, August 28, 2006

A Tribute to a young friend

Hello friends,

I am sorry for not being around so much lately, but as you might have noticed through the title, we have had a death in our circle. My oldest step-daughter's best friend - a young, vibrant, sweetheart of a girl - passed away a couple days ago after complications from surgery.

She was only 16 years old.

The funeral and memorial will be today. She was loved by many, especially my step-daughter. They had been the best of friends since they were 5, meeting on the cusp of a new and exciting time for them - kindergarten. Boy, I'll never forget my kindergarten days, lying in the sun on my blanket for an afternoon nap, as it beamed in through the windows straight from heaven itself. I can only imagine what this young girl's family and friends are going through.

It pains me as well as makes me smile to know that her last vacation was with us, as we loaded up the family truckster and headed to Hilton Head, SC in mid-June. While there, she casually mentioned something about surgery over the summer, but would be ready to go by fall for highschool. Sadly, this would not come to pass.

She passed away on the eve of the first day of her junior year.

Instead of her friends babbling on about boys and the new people in school, they will be wearing black and crying until it feels they will never stop. On top of this, we will be going on a planned vacation this Wednesday, so I probably won't be posting too much until I return. Please know I appreciate all your kinds words you may write, and I will catch up as soon as I return.

Friends, if you believe in prayer, or even in you don't, I ask on this day that you look up into the sky and say a kind word or two for a fallen friend, daughter, and sister; for a girl who hadn't even begun to live her life yet lived it everyday; for a girl who should be in Algebra class right as we speak, instead of her final resting place.

She will be sorely missed.

9 Have scribed in:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments:
Death is not fair. It comes at a time when you least expect it, and even if not, you cannot ever prepare for it.

When I graduated high school, one of my friends threw herself before the train. I got the news through my friendship circle. Instead of going to her graduation party, we all went to her funeral.
She wasn't troubled, nor had any problems. Not that she showed nor that she told anybody about.
Her boyfriend had died in a carcrash earlier. I suppose she didn't see a reason to move on after that.
She was an incredible person, an incredible artist, and she had a bright future ahead.
Gone too soon.

I'll include you, your family and your stepdaughter's friends and family in my prayer tonight.

Take care of her - and yourselves.
 
I am so sorry to hear that. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I had a friend pass away when I was 13, it was very difficult. Take care, and just know we're thinking about you!
 
not something any of us like to hear. prayers!
 
Two close friends lost their fathers recently and I grieve with them... sorry to hear about this news... :-(
 
Barry, so sorry to hear about the loss of your step-daughter's best friend... my condolences to all. Take care while you are away.
 
Give your daughter a hug. Hold your family tight. You just never really know when stuff like that is going to happen. I can't imagine the sadness and lonliness she must feel right now.

I will leave you with this:

I died from minerality and became vegetable; And From vegetativeness I died and became animal. I died from animality and became man. Then why fear disappearance through death? Next time I shall die Bringing forth wings and feathers like angels; After that, soaring higher than angels -What you cannot imagine, I shall be that.

Rumi
 
That's just so tragic. Thankfully, she had what I'm sure was a wonderful vacation with your family.
 
The chills are running up and down on my spine. This is too sad. Give a special hug to your step daughter today.
 
Barry, words can never express how I feel. Death isn't easy but I hope you find comfort that she might be in a better place. May she R.I.P.

And pls remember, we are all here for you, remembering you & her family in our prayers.
 
Post a Comment