Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Next time, I'll order the steak



I had a bit of a wait this evening while in line at Chipotle Mexican restaurant, and while I was there, I saw a sign they had plastered above our heads that mentioned their ethical treatment of the chickens they serve in their burritos and tacos. Now, mind you, I don't normally eat at this establishment, mostly because it is sometheres near $6.00 for a burrito and extra for tortilla chips and a drink. After it is all said and done, you end up spending close to $10 for a burrito dinner that is close to 90% rice. Rice, I implore you! I can go to the grocery store and buy enough rice to feed Ulaanbaatar for a decade. I mean, seriously, rice is the least expensive thing in there next to air. All of this got me to thinking: Why are these damn burritos so costly? What is in them to warrant such a hefty price tag? Then, like a beacon of light from the sky, I saw the aforementioned sign.

It smugly said something along the lines of, "All of our meat is kept in open areas, fed grain, and not injected with hormones."

"That is it!" I thought to myself. Actually, I mumbled it outloud, causing some of the people in line behind me to give me the once over. "That is why it takes the equivalent of the GNP of a third-world country to feed me."

I almost considered asking for "non-free-range chicken"* just out of spite, simply because I was apalled at the prices they are gouging the public with. I'm sure the goth teen would sardonically smile at me through her array of lip rings, then vow to spend the rest of her life making people like me uncomfortable; that, or spit on my ethically-treated yet boring-as-hell chicken.

Which is exactly what it is - BORING! No one in life likes hearing stories about lily-white, cornfed, nice, well-treated, pampered people, and we shouldn't ask that that of our game as well. The way I see it, "free range" equates to bland and tasteless. When I see a chicken with no hormones injected, I see a chicken with no character or personality. We get tougher whenever we live through crisis and strife, and I see no point in not allowing the same for fowl.

As I gave her my free burrito coupon (yes, I wasn't even going to pay anyway, but it is not the point), and saw the hatred gurgling over, I decided to hold off on asking....maybe next time.


*No chickens, or anthing else for that matter, were hurt during the writing of this post or the creation of my awful photoshopped chicken coop. Some chicken got ate during my dinner, but not a whole lot.

22 Have scribed in:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments:
Over here, you can choose to buy eggs from and frozen chicken that has been either walking freely, or has been caged. The caged products are about 20% of what the free-ranged chicken products cost.
I work with food, and not one of my customers buy the free-ranged eggs unless they are all out and the caged ones are all gone...

Ethical? Nope. It's just business...
 
very funny barry. did you know that they are owned by mcdonalds corp? the shitty parts of the chicken go to make mcnuggets!
 
I'm glad I don't have the dilemma of whether to buy free-range chicken or not.

But shouldn't free-range be cheaper as it doesn't require the building of fences?
 
Well since I’m a vegetarian I don’t have to think abt that. If you are wondering, no, I am not a vegetarian cuz I love animals – I’m a vegetarian cuz I hate vegetables!!!

Btw, love your manipulated chic-pic ;)
 
Heart of Darkness - That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. The majority of people will usually lean to the cheapest and not the best.

mgc - I did not know that McD's owns them. The even shittier parts of the chicken go to our cafeteria at work!

missy - you make an excellent point. I think it is definately a scam. Hormones cost money; coops cost money. I am sure top athletes pay big bucks to bulk up like our chickens.

crashdummie - Thanks, believe it or not, I did that photo all by myself in less that 15 minutes. :)

So what do you eat? Rice and stuff like that?
 
Okay, that was one of your best posts ever. You made me laugh my ass off. But, you're still a fucking chicken hater. Am I allowed to say that in here?

I'm having cheeseburger for dinner tonight at my dad's. Just so you know.

Hormones are the reason I have big boobs...don't hate on hormones.

I'm gonna get hate mail for this. I can just feel it. Haters.
 
BV - Yes! you are allowed to say "chicken hater" in here.

Wake up America! It's the 21st Century!

I agree, I wish we could live in a world where all our poultry isn't hormone free and locked up in small cages to maximize adversity, i.e., flavor.
 
Perhaps they jacked up the price to prevent customers from considering their stock pile of poultry has been infected with the avian flu. It's only a matter of time, I swear!

You really need to just become a vegetarian, Barry. Then you wouldn't have to worry abou the price of meat. Ever.

Watch this (one of my first vlog entries) http://gardenofruminations.blogspot.com/2006/02/avian-flu-vlog.html
It'll really make you wake up and smell the fried chicken!
 
beth - You sold me. It's only Morningstar Farms and Amy's from here on out.

What stood out most in my mind was the chicken with a hot water bottle on his head. That is rich.
 
Hooray! That's actually pretty much all my diet is now. It's actually very tastey.

I forgot about that chicken! Glad you liked! You actually listen to my voice if you click on some of my earlier posts (product placement, litter, etc.).
 
The world has gone mad my friend!
Have you seen the scary KFC haters websites on teh intarweb?
You'd never eat chicken again.
 
Free-range chickens...haha! You can have them for FREE on the island of Kauai (oh how I love my home town). They pretty much rule place with the hens and their little ones using the crosswalk in town for chrissakes. The roosters are the real problem as they crow at all and any hour of the day. Hence the name, Kauai's broken alarm clock.
 
hehe Rowena, your comment rocks, same thing in my grandparents' village: chicken roam freely and rule the land and cockerels start the macho show at 3am :) It's like a chicken woodstock at times with all the rock n' roll and shagging. And they are truly delicious when roasted...
 
Well Barry, if you become a vegetarian I'l reveal all the veggie secrets.

Rowena & Dora, let them think that they are in charge - we know that who will end up on the dinner plate anyway :)
 
beth - It is tasty stuff! Have you ever tried making buffalo chik'n tenders? Mix a little hot sause and butter together and dip them in. They are good and you can hardlt tell the difference!

I listened to your posts! You have a lovely radio voice!

steph - I have seen them indeed. I hate haters hating on my own state's chicken! Or something like that...

rowena - Maybe Chipotle should move to Kauai and see how well they fare...muahhhh

dora - LOL! I loved the chicken woodstock comment. That was pretty funny.

I can just see the chickens diligently trying to make peace signs with their feet as the smell of patchouli and hickory smoke fills the air.

crashdummie - I have a lot of vegetarians in here! Whoo hoo! Missy and Beth have already tried to convert me. I am not opposed to mixing it up on occasion...now tell me some secrets...like, are those veggie burgers secretly full of gopher or something?
 
I heart chicken.
 
So do I, BV. So do I.
 
anita - thanks for the graphic visualization of a comment! Every time I will eat chicken I will think of you behind a chicken truck for hours...maybe I should follow your lead and stick to beef and pork.
 
I actually have not tried the buffalo ones! I definitely will. I'm a huge fan of Morningstar, so I'll give those a whirl stat. Thanks for listening to my posts, I appreciate that! :)
 
Funny, I almost ate at a Chipolte restaurant in Virginia Thursday night. We don't have them in PA, at least not in my area. In case you don't know already, I'm a vegetarian. I'm not fanatical, I cook chicken for my cats, I serve meat at my house. I know that no matter how much I hate the killing of animals and how disgustingly and inhumane animals are treated in general on this planet, will it ever stop the general public from eating meat. So, I have to say kudos to Chipolte for treating their chicken humanely. You don't need anymore hormones in your body. Eat the free range guys if you have to eat them at all.
 
In the chicken and egg eternal quest of deciphering which is better, free range chickens or organic eggs, I'd go for the eggs!
 
Beth - you better give them a whirl stat! They are good, even for for processed soy products.

carnealian - I must have some form of energy attracting vegetarians to my blog! I don't think I ever knew you were one of those people... :)
As you might know, I eat veggie stuff on occasion, since my wife is a vegetarian.

chickybabe - I think I agree with you! I love eggs, especially farm-fresh. My buddy gave me some straight from the farm and they were good.
 
Post a Comment