Monday, May 15, 2006

Chicago, Fiction Scribe style

The Windy City is probably a sadder place, now that I have returned home. What a weekend, though! For those who haven't been to Chicago before, let my testimonial be a guide that everyone should go and check it out. There is so much to see and do, from shopping to nightlife and everything in between. Friday night, we hit up a Spanish tapas bar and restaurant. The food was excellent, the sangria cold, and everyone in there (present company excluded) was hip and good-looking. I definitely nerded the joint up, but I don't give a damn. It was fun.

Our view from the hotel room was superb. We overlooked the Navy Pier, Lake Michigan, and a few homeless guys.

Saturday began by Jenny and I springing for breakfast at the restaurant of our hotel, the Swissotel. Big mistake. It was grossly overpriced. I did redeem myself by swiping everything that wasn't nailed down to our table. All in all, the food was good, but I have etched a mental note to never go to that restaurant again. They could have at least kissed us goodbye or given us a little pillow talk after the gouging we took.

After that, we went shopping on Michigan Avenue. When I say "we" I really mean Jenny and her friend. I was their bitch who carried around all their purchases. After Round 1 of shopping, we went to Giordano's for some traditional Chicago-style deep dish pizza. There was enough cheese on there to stop up a toilet but boy was it tasty. I ordered a token salad to give the apprearance of being health-conscious.

Dinner consisted of good food served by a very cheesy, 80's looking waiter with horrible, wavy, mullet-like hair. Other members of the dinner party brilliantly remarked at his mortician-ness. I even had a dream that everyone was making fun of me. When I looked in the mirror, I saw HIS hair on my head. Then, we had a drink at the 95th floor of the Hancock Building.

On Sunday, we went to see the Padres beat the hell out of the Cubs in Wrigley Field. It was a little nipply out there walking the streets of Wrigleyville, but I persevered, mainly due to copious amounts of liquid refreshment.

Overall, it was a blast and I will post photos of the trip asap. Next time, I plan on staying longer! Any good recommendations for next trip?

*******************************

Funny story about yesterday's game that I forgot to mention. We were sitting down (our seats were behind the press booth at Wrigley field). Jenny nudges me when some long-haired guy walks by us and asks, "Who is that guy? Is he someone important? He looks familiar."

I respond jokingly, "Nah, he's just some burnout with long hair."

Five minutes later, that burnout with long hair went up to the press box and sang to the entire crowd during the 7th inning stretch.

It was Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.

13 Have scribed in:

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said...

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogCommentDateTime$> <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

Post a Comment

<< Home

Comments:
WHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT???????? Eddie Vedder? Holy crap! I would have just died!

I would love to go to Chicago. Mainly for the deep dish pizza. I'm sure it's heavenly.

I would suspect Chicago is much like NYC, overpriced but well worth the trip anyway. Sounds like fun!
 
I'm so jealous. I want to go somewhere fun.
 
anita - Me, a terrorist? Well, my name IS on a list somewhere. I'll have to elaborate to you sometime.

carnealian - Deep dish pizza is awesome! Unhealthy as hell, but awesome.

nongirlfriend - Vicente is a good man. I feel his pain. Literally, because my feet STILL ache.

anita - I wish you were there, too - you could have sung to him! Better yet, you and Eddie could have sung a duet.

sonya - You are in Texas...how much more fun could you have anywhere else?!?!
 
I want you to do a book tour here. LOL!
 
janestarr - I didn't have a clue, either! I really thought ne was some ordinary burnout...little did I know he was a famous burnout!

sonya - I am trying! I'd love to get to Texas.
 
anita - We are on a list together, perhaps! If so, we could sing this:

A dissident, a dissident is here!
 
Argghhh! Did you get a pic with him??
 
Hope you have a great weekend!
 
steph - no, I sure didn't. I had made fun of him too much to do something like that.

sonya - you too! Hope Texas isn't covered in rain this weekend!
 
I thought about saying no until I read your blog...

...the topic of a signing at Barnes and Noble that is!

Will you be promoting it shamelessly on your blog?

Melissa
CRM
Barnes and Noble
Lex, KY
 
Hi Melissa! I will do an abundance of shameless self-promotion.

Ask anyone on here - I do it all the time!

Thanks so much. Thanks for stopping by, too!
 
I was at Navy Pier last year. $22 to park. After that it was a pretty nice time. I went on a Ferris Wheel.
 
OMG! You didn't recognize EDDIE VEDDER!?!?

*faint*
lol
 
Post a Comment